by Carol Bryant
Some of us consider our dogs our kids, others our companion, some are best friends, and many of us say “all of the above” when asked how we feel about our dogs.
How cool would it be to have a career working with animals in some capacity?
With the economic recession forcing many out of their comfort zone and often into unfamiliar territory, if you’ve ever considered a career with animals in some capacity, why not the present?
Years ago, a search engine result of “careers with animals” would have merited such admiral professions as veterinarian, groomer, veterinary technician, trainer, or dog handler. Today, those results still surface but so do a new host of careers, all involving dogs in some capacity.
As you peruse this list, consider the educational implications, possible initial start-up costs, and if you have the time to commit. If any of these pique your interest, an initial first step can be asking someone currently in the industry if you can talk to them and/or visit their place of business.
Here are some careers in the dog world that have surfaced (and some have been around a long time, but you may not have considered them):
- Dog walker
- Manufacturer of pet supplies
- Animal behaviorist
- Vet technician
- Pet sitter
- Website designer (in dog-related industries)
- Pet photographer
- Mobile groomer
- Pet product manufacturer (i.e., handmade collars)
- Marketing and PR for dog-related companies
- Doggie daycare
- Kennel/boarding – including “cage-free!”
- Working in the dog show arena (judge, trainer, groomer, handler)
- Animal control officer
- Working in a pet supply store or at corporate headquarters
- Pet writer or illustrator
- Police and K-9 units
- Selling dog-related items at pet shows and trade shows
- Pet rescue and foster care
- Animal volunteer
- Breeder – only those who have a passion for this and are dedicated to breed standard and welfare of the dogs involved.
- Guide dog trainer
- Pet blogger
Got a career we didn’t list here? We’d love to hear about it. Any career has its ups and downs, rewards and downsides. However, with the proper research and a true calling beckoning you to a new path, anything’s possible.