BEAT THE HEAT! with Kolchak's Cool-Cakes
Posted 4 years ago (103 views).
It is HOT! HOT! HOT! at my house again today! It's gonna be a scorcher. So to help me and Felix cool down - Mom is whipping up a batch of Kolchak's Coolcakes!
Carrot, Pea & Buffalo Flavour
*These are for Mom's fancy three layer ones that she sells to the pet shops. Truth be told - Felix and I are *just as happy* with her "lazycakes" which are only one flavour and no borders!
3 cups quinoa, rice or potato, cooked to the point of *extra mushy* (if using potato - leave a bit firmer.
1 cup ground Buffalo
1 cup carrots
1 cup peas
1 - 2 c. low fat/low sodium chicken stock
1. Cook rice/quinoa, carrots, peas & Buffalo (separately) and let cool in the fridge.
2. Blend 1 cup rice/quinoa/potato with 1 cup carrots, adding chicken stock as required to make a thick liquid.
3. Fill silicone muffin cups 1/3 full (or line regular muffin trays with cupcake liners or plastic wrap. Silicone is by far the easiest to get the cake out of later).
4. Place in freezer for 30 min or until firm. (It doesn't need to be frozen solid, just firm enough to pour the next layer on it.)
5. Blend 1 cup rice/quinoa/potato with 1 cup Buffalo, adding chicken stock as required to make a thick liquid. Pour over the carrot layer.
6. Place in freezer for 30 min or until firm. (It doesn't need to be frozen solid, just firm enough to pour the next layer on it.)
7. Blend 1 cup rice/quinoa/potato with 1 cup peas, adding chicken stock as required to make a thick liquid. Pour over the turkey layer.
8. Freeze overnight or until solid.
9. Run warm water over the mold to loosen and pop out.
10. If you are into the fancy stuff like my Mom is, thick mashed potato, mashed sweet potato or mashed squash in an icing bag with a decorative tip (Mom likes #16) makes a nice border. Change the tip out for a #3 to write on the top!
PS - We encourage you to play around with different flavours, so far Mom has made peanut butter (YUM!), pumpkin, blueberry, raspberry, liver, squash, green bean, chicken, turkey - the sky is the limit! In a pinch - she even once used CANNED DOG FOOD! ~VERY UNLIKE MY MOM! ~
Mom's rule of thumb is 1 cup base of rice, quinoa or potato to every 1 cup of flavour, but more delicate tastes like Atlantic Whitefish or green bean need a little more, so we use 1 1/2 c. flavour to every 1 cup of base.
Please let us know if you find something delicious, as we would
LOVE LOVE LOVE to try it!!